Re: Windows Vista Complaints Department (Chris Prillo)

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 17 August 2007 01:07 : \____

> <Quote>
> At the risk of sounding even more negative about the entire Windows
> Vista situation, I have a steady stream of disgruntled users venting
> in my inbox. Michelle Rampelt, for instance:

<snip lots of honest remarks from readers of a Windows blog />

You know, Chris Pirillo moved over to WordPress which is FLOSS about a year
ago. He joined us in the WordPress mailing lists where he inquired and
expressed amazing satisfaction with the new software that he deployed in his
Web site. Mind you, Chris is a Microsoft MVP, so his income virtually comes
from a certain company and its ecosystem in Redmond, WA. Around the same time
he also took Linux for a test drive on various occasions. In the mailing list,
you could see him posting some Linux humour. Here are some of his more recent
posts:

Vista's UI is Better Than This!?

,----[ Quote ]
| Watch and drool. By the way, you can try this on your own PC right now!
| I'm not yet sure how to unlock every one of these visual effects, but
| damn - XGL is impressive...
`----

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/06/vistas-ui-is-better-than-this/

Vista Will Double Apple's Market Share

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember how you felt when you saw "The Phantom Menace" for the first time?
| I was overwhelmingly disappointed. That's exactly how Windows Vista RC1
| makes  me feel, and that's not very likely to change between now and when
| the OS goes gold. Before now, there wasn't a viable "Google" or "Firefox"
| for the Windows platform. Between Apple's Boot Camp and Parallels, you're
| going to have to make a strong argument to keep people from finally
| making the switch. And you wanna know the worst part of this
| entire situation?
|
| Microsoft, in each and every instance, has been its own worst enemy.
`----

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/c0611/44c11/44c11.asp&guid=8CF5E5CB35CB42E1857F6F42970E2A2C
http://tinyurl.com/ya7x59

An Alternative To Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris, I fully sympathize with your frustration with Windows. I have
| felt this way about Microsoft since the mid-nineties. I heartily
| suggest you go to linspire.com and test Linspire and its CNR...
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2007/05/18/an-alternative-to-windows/

And of course there are some more stories...

Vista backlash grows; key advocate moves back to XP

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Pirillo just broke up with Windows Vista, saying, "The shipping
| version of this OS is late beta, at best."
|
| Jason Busch did the same: "It's an absolute travesty that
| Microsoft would have released such a half-baked product."
`----

http://gracefulflavor.net/2007/03/06/vista-backlash-grows-key-advocate-moves-back-to-xp/
http://tinyurl.com/2ldrbe

An Open Letter To Jim Allchin (from Chris Pirillo)

,----[ Quote ]
| Jim,
|
| Congratulations! Seriously. I'm glad that you finally got Windows
| Vista out the door, but I'm equally as thrilled to know that you're
| working on releasing SP1 by the end of this year.
`----

http://blendout.blogspot.com/2007/03/open-letter-to-jim-allchin-from-chris.html

Will Microsoft Survive the Next 10 Years?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not really an expert in this but when I read all the negative
| headlines and articles I ask myself if Microsoft really will survive
| the next 10 years.
|
| [...]
|
| I am pretty sure that the Open Source Community, the new Ubuntu,
| Google and of course Apple are those companies that are ready for
| our century and they will get more and more people that know what
| they really want.
`----

http://websquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/03/will-microsoft-survive-next-10-years.html

Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| "I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do
| what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage
| system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this
| problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we
|                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to
| heart. Jim"
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
| internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft has
| also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and has
| has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

As Microsoft looks ahead, will Vista be the end of an era?

,----[ Quote ]
| Once installed in the post, Mr Ozzie wrote an internal company
| memo that mapped out the challenges that face Microsoft. The
| message was clear: get Google, get with the internet and wean
| Microsoft off Windows as we know it.
|
| "Through Google's focus they?ve gained a tremendously strong
| position," he said. "[Microsoft] must respond quickly and decisively
| . . . It's clear that if we fail to do so, our business as we know
| it is at risk."
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13129-2494732,00.html

Why Vista might be the last of its kind

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine this. One of the world's most powerful monopolies puts 10,000
| people to work for five years to create one new product. And nobody
| is really sure if anyone wants it. How's that for a gamble?
|
| That's what we have with Windows Vista, the new computer-operating
| system from Microsoft that debuted last week for businesses and,
| next month, for consumers.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003460386_btview04.html

Vista: Microsoft's Last 'Big Bang' Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet for all the design missteps, overly ambitious plans, and
| personnel changes that led to a five-year lag between versions
| of Windows, questions about the future of Microsoft's software
| are top of mind for customers and partners. Ballmer swears to
| never let as much time elapse between Windows versions; the
| question now is how the company can keep churning out
| innovative products on a compressed timetable.
`----

http://newz.byethost31.com/Microsoft_vista_last_big_bang_operating_system.htm

Is Vista the End of Windows as We Know It?

,----[ Quote ]
| The five-year long march to developing Windows Vista exposed just how
| broken Microsoft's Windows-development process is. It took far too
| long, major features were dropped along the way, and it was wrapped up
| in more red tape than the IRS. That's why I think that Vista will be the
| last of the "big-bang" Windows releases.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/11/is_vista_the_end_of_windows_as.html

Life After Vista: Can Microsoft Retool for Web?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a similar tug of war in the late 1990s, one internal faction
| lobbied to use Microsoft's Internet browser software to radically
| retool Windows for the Internet. But that faction lost out to a
| more PC-centric view of the Windows mission -- an outcome that some
| Microsoft insiders say is one reason the company fell behind in the
| Internet services Google and others now lead.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116459728069433263-K0zAOblcMz_...
http://tinyurl.com/yjngqj

Windows Vista the last of its kind

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista will be the last version of Windows that exists in its current,
| monolithic form, according to Gartner.
|
| Instead, the research firm predicts, Microsoft will be forced to
| migrate Windows to a modular architecture tied together through
| hardware-supported virtualisation. "The current, integrated architecture
| of Microsoft Windows is unsustainable - for enterprises and for
| Microsoft," wrote Gartner analysts Brian Gammage, Michael Silver and
| David Mitchell Smith.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=6718

I'd hate to be a Microsoft employee right now.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=