[News] Kernel Discussion Turns to New Filesystems Concept

  • Subject: [News] Kernel Discussion Turns to New Filesystems Concept
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:28:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Thinking outside the box on file systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine that the file system is a database that
| contains file data, name data, and permission data.
| Loose the idea that files have an owner and a group or
| the attributes that we are familiar with. Think
| instead  that users, groups, managers, application,
| and such are objects and there is a complex rights
| system that gives access to names that point to file
| data.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/14/423

Linus Torvalds runs a tight ship

,----[ Quote ]
| This past Sunday, as release candidate three (rc3) prepared for launch with
| the stable 2.6.23 Linux kernel, Linus Torvalds came out of relative seclusion
| to give a little smack-down and keep the project on track.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33403/140/

Linux has had a WinFS-like filesystem for quite some time (always ahead of
Windows).

Related:

Access frees database filesystem for Linux devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Access/PalmSource has released an SQL-based filesystem for embedded
| devices under the LGPL (Lesser General Public License). Libsqlfs
| implements a POSIX-style hierarchical filesystem as an SQLite database
| file, and was originally developed to provide a registry of system and
| application configuration data for mobile phones, according to
| Access.

Windows Vista vs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----