[News] Debunking Tim O'Reilly's Latest Free Software FUD

  • Subject: [News] Debunking Tim O'Reilly's Latest Free Software FUD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:32:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open-source companies to be acquired by proprietary vendors?

,----[ Quote ]
| Tim believes that open source, at least as defined by open-source licensing,
| has a short shelf life that will be consumed by Web 2.0 (i.e., Web companies
| hijacking open-source software to deliver proprietary Web services) or by
| traditional proprietary software vendors.
|
| In other words, why don't I just give up, sell out, and go home? I guess I
| would if I thought that Tim were right. He's not, not in this instance.
|
| There's something more fundamental going on here than "Proprietary software
| meets open source. Proprietary software decides to commandeer open source.
| Open source proves to be a nice lapdog to proprietary software." I actually
| believe that open source, not proprietary software, is the natural state of
| the industry, and that Tim's proprietary world is anomalous.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9760101-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

Related:

Cries for help go out as open source mogul's radar breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| That very speech served as O'Reilly's attempt to make up for his evisceration
| as the hands of Free Software Foundation attorney Eben Moglen. One day
| earlier, Moglen charged O'Reilly with wasting too much time on hem lines,
| haircuts and the latest fluffy Web 2.0 start-up that looks like it might be
| acquired for a ridiculous amount of cash. O'Reilly had no counter on the
| actual day of Moglen's attack, but thought about the issues overnight.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/28/oscon_oreilly_radar/

Pendulum has swung in the open source debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Once upon a time, the term "open source" was coined to save the free-software
| world from itself--or, rather, from the free-software zealots, as you can
| read on the Open Source Initiative's Web site.
|
| Today, I can't help but feel that the pendulum has swung in the opposite
| direction, where we're so self-satisfied with the money we're making off open
| source that we have neglected the essential freedoms that make open-source
| profit possible.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9752966-7.html

Open Source is no Web 2.0