Re: [News] Protesters Against BBC-Microsoft Corruption Take it to the Street

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Anti-DRM Protesters call on the BBC to eliminate DRM from the iPlayer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | London and Manchester, England ? Two weeks after the BBC officially
> | launched the iPlayer, protesters wearing bright yellow Hazmat suits
> | gathered outside BBC Television Center in London and BBC headquarters in
> | Manchester to demand that Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) be
> | eliminated from the BBC.
> |
> | The BBC have developed the "iPlayer" at a cost to the BBC license fee
> | payer of £130 Million and rising.

What the FUDCK????
That Beeeb is full cunts that need to be shot down.

> | [...]
> |
> | FSF Executive Director attending the protest spoke about the corrupting
> | influence of Microsoft, "BBC values have been corrupted because BBC
> | Executives are too closely associated with Microsoft. BBC values have
> | been corrupted because the iPlayer uses proprietary software and
> | standards made under an exclusive deal with Microsoft. BBC values have
> | been corrupted because license fee payers must now own a Microsoft
> | operating system to download BBC programming. BBC values have been
> | corrupted because license fee payers must accept DRM technologies that
> | spy and monitor on the digital files held on their computers. We are
> | here today to help BBC Director General Mark Thompson, clean up this DRM
> | mess, and to encourage the BBC Trust to reverse course and eliminate DRM
> | from the BBC iPlayer"
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/11186
anti-drm-protesters-call-bbc-eliminate-drm-iplayer

> [...]
> | fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
> |
> | Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
> | bum that you could barely see her corset.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37411
>

> http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias
>

> Brits! Act now to save the BBC from Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The BBC are holding an open consultation regarding how they're
> | going to delivery on-demand content, they want answers to
> | questions like: "How important is it that the proposed seven-day
> | catch-up service over the internet is available to consumers who
> | are not using Microsoft software?"
> `----
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/31/brits_act_now_to_sav.html
>

> Beeb breaks out with Windows WMA protection
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | According to a press release from Sonos, the blokes over
> | at the Beeb have decided to jump ship for relying on
> | Realplayer for web content, and have switched over
> | entirely to the Windows-friendly WMA format. Now
> | that the BBC has made The Big Switch, BBC radio
> | stations will be received automatically for users
> | of wireless music and radio provider Sonos.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35282
>

> Avoid the Vista badge, it means DRM inside
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The root of this crappy DRM infection is Microsoft. It is the driving
> | force here. This has nothing to do with protecting content, as we
> | keep pointing out, there has never been a single thing that has had
> | a DRM infection applied that didn't end up cracked on the net in
> | hours. DRM is about walled gardens and control.
> |
> | He who controls the DRM infection controls the market. DRM is
> | about preventing you from doing anything with the devices
> | without paying the gatekeeper a fee. This is what MS wants,
> | nothing less than a slice of everything watched, listened to
> | or discussed from now on. DRM prevents others from playing
> | there, thanks to the DMCA and other anti-consumer laws.
> |
> | Make no mistake, MS is pushing the DRM malware as hard as
> | it can so it can rake in money hand over fist with no
> | competition. It is really good at lock-in, in fact, the firm
> | based its entire business model on harming the user so they
> | have to comply and spend more.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38926
>

> Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM
>
> http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/04/13/microsoft-apple-drm/
>

> Microsoft launches 'PlayReady' DRM system
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Although digital rights management (DRM) is popular with content
> | creators, it has attracted criticism. Sony was widely attacked after
> | using a rootkit-like application to hide content protection on some
> | music CDs, and earlier this month Apple CEO Steve Jobs called on
> | the music industry to drop its use of DRM.

news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6158553.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

> Golden Rant : Microsoft DRM's gone too far
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft appears to have hit the wrong button on its critical
> | Windows XP download service late last month, pretty well forcing
> | every XP user to upgrade to Windows Media Player (WiMP) 11 if
> | they (like me and many others) have the automatic download/install
> | option enabled for critical updates.
> `----
>
> http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=712
>

> The Longest Suicide Note in History
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Gutmann: The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has
> | even been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular -
> | and the computer community at large - won't end up paying for
> | Microsoft's DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself,
> | yet another reason to move to Linux.
>
> http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01
the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html