[News] AMD/ATI Release of New Linux Driver Still Disappoints

  • Subject: [News] AMD/ATI Release of New Linux Driver Still Disappoints
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 03:46:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
AMD 8.40.4 Display Driver [Released]

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes in the ATI/AMD 8.40.4 driver include the ATI signature
| (/etc/ati/signature, what had led to the watermark problems in 8.39.4) now
| being generated during the extraction stage of the install process. There is
| also a fix for Qt applications when DPI is specified on the Xserver command
| line. While nothing incredible, the 8.40.4 driver also has new TV out control
| options within the AMD Catalyst Control Center (it's now at version 1.3).
| There is also the usual variety of minor packaging script changes.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=804&num=1

Also new:

One Bug A Day Keeps AIGLX Away

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NTk4MA

Open-Source Radeon TV Out

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NTk3OQ

Related:

ATI driver flaw exposes Vista kernel to attackers

,----[ Quote ]
| An unpatched flaw in an ATI driver was at the center of the mysterious Purple
| Pill proof-of-concept tool that exposed a way to maliciously tamper with the
| Windows Vista kernel.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=438

Avivo R500 Linux Driver Status

| A month ago we told you that Avivo v0.1.0 (the open-source ATI R500 X1000
| Linux driver) was coming soon, but still we have not seen this release.
`----

http://phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTk2NQ

Avivo vs. Fglrx Driver In GtkPerf

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see from the timed results, the GTK+ performance when using
| the Avivo driver with ShadowFB enabled had sharply outperformed the
| 8.39 fglrx driver (partly due to the CPU operations).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=779&num=1

ATI R200 TV-Out In Open-Source Driver

,----[ Quote ]