To which I must add:

  • Subject: To which I must add:
  • From: Oldtech <me@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:15:14 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
,----[ Quote ]
| # Update every single piece of software on my system with a single
|   action...
|
| # Update nearly everything on my computer without a reboot...
|
| # Keep my system secure without software that consumes my system
resources,
|   requires my time, and frequently nags me...
|
| # Run an entire operating system for free without pirating software,
|   and without breaking the law...
|
| #  Take my settings with me where ever I go...
|
| # Run Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, and 7.0 on the same desktop...
|
| # Understand everything that is going on in my computer...
|
| # Customize every aspect of my desktop...
|
| # Benefit from competition between projects for each system on my
|   computer...
|
| # Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux...
|
| # Learn about, support, and appreciate the value of free software...

`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-can-do-in-linux-that-i-cant-do-on-windows

To which I must add:

* Run up to 20 concurrent desktops and cut/paste across them all

* enjoy concurrent multi-processing

* complete and total control over all network tools, files, and
  functions, in real time.

* total and absolute control of all security features, options, with no
   outside control imposed upon the users.

* transportability accross hardware.  Remove a hard drive from a DFI or
   ASUS system, and plug it into a totally different system, without any
   're-registration' or necessity to re-install the entire system.

* Ease of access to mirrors with images of the OS, which can be booted
   live from the Internet, remotely, from a LiveCDrom, around the world!
   http://www.babytux.org/articles/howto/how2netknoppix.php
   http://vamosproject.org/InternetBoot

I do have 9,984 more reasons... See them for your self in any run of any
LiveCDrom from http://livecdlist.com or http://distrowatch.com

*  Running Mepis 64 bit Linux, installed, with an initial 1900 FREE
applications and suites, loaded on the drive in a 9 minute install.

*  Linux 64bit runs great on 768Mb of RAM, though 256 MB RAM would do it
      nicely