Re: Microsoft DRM Cracked; Another Major Loss to DRM as Universal Goes for DRM-free Sales

____/ BearItAll on Monday 13 August 2007 09:28 : \____

> John Bailo, Texeme.Construct wrote:
>
>> On Aug 10, 6:52 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> Hacker strips DRM from streaming Netflix movies
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>
>> It's actually Silverlight -- which prevents me from using Firefox on
>> XP or anything on Linux -- however, I did email them and they said
>> they were "working on a Linux version".
>
> The very first line on the SilverLight page on Microsoft's pages is,
>
> "SilverLight is a cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in ...."
>
> ( http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight )
>
> Ok, lets have a look.
>
> The downloads page, oops, not cross-platform. But maybe it is cross-browser,
> and that seems to be the case.
>
> So MS need to change that opening line to,
>
> "Silverlight is a cross-browser, not cross-platform, plug in ... "
>

> Can I be synical for a moment? Well, you know how MS let certain adverts
> through to pop up on MSN irrespective of the local blocking settings, them
> wot slipped 'em a bung, as it were. Well binary tools in your browser such
> as silverlight, I get that itch at the back of my neck, it tells me that
> the wrong people may be in control of this plugin. I got a simmilar itch
> when I noticed many of my users had suddenly decided that having lots and
> lots of iGoogle gadgets was a good idea, at a simmilar time to when I
> noticed a sudden jump in the amount of internet traffic in regular hours
> and out side of regular hours. Norton security doesn't like a fair few of
> those little gadgets, and niether do I.

For Microsoft's definition of "cross platform", see the following item that I
caught some months ago.

Microsoft Announces Cross-Platform Ad Strategy

,----[ Snippet ]
| ...will allow marketers to reach customers across Microsoft's many
| platforms, including MSN, the XBox, Microsoft Live, Office Online,
| Windows Mobile, and Microsoft TV.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/060926/293_id.html?.v=2

Aha! This is one among many where Microsoft defines stuff that works on
multiple Microsoft 'platforms' a multi- or cross-platform solution.

In the same vein, Microsoft corrupts the meaning of "Open source", among other
things, e.g.:

Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'

,----[ Quote ]
| Two industry watchers say Microsoft is corrupting the term, leading to
| major confusion among customers and others about whether the operating
| system is truly ready to evaluate.
|
| Two analysts Thursday accused Microsoft Corp. of changing the meaning
| of "release candidate" by pushing out a version of Windows Vista that
| still needs major work.
|
| [...]
|
| Joe Wilcox, an analyst with JupiterResearch, said that Microsoft's
| corrupted the term.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.
                                                 ~Linus Torvalds