[News] many More Moves to Linux Mainframes on the Way?

  • Subject: [News] many More Moves to Linux Mainframes on the Way?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 04:04:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IBM to switch its server datacentres to mainframes

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM now thinks heightened concern about energy costs gives it leverage in the
| market to sell more mainframes.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/3003A6B3A8077B1ACC257333000516D2

Related:

Big Blue goes green: IBM plans dramatic overhaul of data centers to save $250
million in energy

,----[ Quote ]
| File this in the “Everything old is new again” folder. Today, IBM is
| announcing plans to consolidate about 4,000 small servers in six locations
| worldwide into 30 Linux-powered mainframes that are each about the size of a
| refrigerator. IBM says that this move will save $250 million over five years,
| reduce floor space for these servers by 85 percent, and save roughly enough
| energy to power a small town.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=527

Big Iron lives on

,----[ Quote ]
| These Linux-only processors are priced approximately 90 percent
| lower than a processor utilised for a traditional mainframe workload.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9369

Linux drives a mainframe revival

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux may not be everyone?s idea of a mainframe operating system,
| but for a growing number of large and medium-sized businesses
| the synergy between Linux and big iron is the solution to as
| ignificant problem.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Feeds/RSS/Articles/2006/11/16/219927/Linux+drives+a+mainframe+revival.htm
http://tinyurl.com/tdjgr

IBM Opens Latin America's First Mainframe Software Center

,----[ Quote ]
| The System z Center also offers software training and business guidance on
| how the IBM mainframe can deliver faster and customized solutions through
| proven case studies and innovative testing techniques.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070810/0289179.html

Mainframe in comeback mode

,----[ Quote ]
| We have over 1,300 independent software vendors who work with the
| Mainframe. We have 300 to 400 in the Linux arena. We have many
| business partners and some integrators too, that we work with.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2007/01/01/stories/2007010100110300.htm

Linux-on-Mainframe Apps Up 100%: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM recently reported a 390% jump in mainframe sites running Linux.
| It says more than 60% of its mainframe revenue is now coming from
| new workloads, with approximately 20% of the revenue and 30% of the
| MIPS coming from Linux customers, which is what has the ISVs
| interested.
`----

http://issj.sys-con.com/read/317754.htm

IBM touts mainframes to India