Re: SCO to Appeal? Executives Have No Comment.

On Aug 11, 1:40 pm, "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct"
<jaba...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 8:25 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | If this is the end it seems to leave Novell in a curious position.
> > | In its deal with Microsoft, Novell appears to have granted Microsoft
> > | the power to claim that Microsoft holds the same kinds of rights to
> > | Linux that SCO claimed, and fourth quarter downloads indicate that
> > | many customers are taking those claims seriously.
> > `----
>
> >http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=902
>
> That, to put it mildly, is the most spin that any MS Lover could
> possibly put on the deal.
>
> First, it forgets the fact that IBM was a party to the litigation, and
> it has been cleared.   Secondly, IBM have become much closer buddies
> now...much more so than Microsoft.
>

 > Sun, was a licensee as well as Microsoft, and no one is talking
about
 > all those Solaris installations that run the Internet backbones
that
 > might come under Novell's domain.

Maybe I am the clueless here, but are you people aware of the special
status of Sun respect to Unix? IIRC, the boss of the company that
owned Unix at the time (Novell?) gave a huge IP gift to Sun. It was a
golden parachute, a parting shot of sorts. He gave ample rights to
McNealy and told him: "go get the bastards", or something to that
affect.

In the worst case Sun could fork Solaris beginning at that release.

I think Sun has nothing to worry about.

Or is this "gift" another urban legend?

-Ramon