Re: [News] Linux Growth is Real, Becomes a Matter of Momentum

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Growth is Real, Becomes a Matter of Momentum
  • From: waterskidoo <water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 03:02:05 +0000 (UTC)
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:USVpfVgfVhs+5uFscsFyTOzYzW0=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2007-08-11, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can Linux Overtake Windows in OS War?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft still has a commanding lead in the market, he said, but Linux
>| growth is real and should continue to find adoption as a generation emerges
>| that is more technically inclined and less attached to the Microsoft brand.
> `----
>
> http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=022001PVEWBI

This is a very interesting article because it addresses a forgotten
point.
The current "build your own" computer population has been replaced
with the point and click generation (weaned on MS) which is now
being replaced with what I call the "thinker" generation.
They are exploring alternatives and this generation is just
getting into corporate positions.
Linux appeals to this generation because unlike the
trail blazers before them, they are faced with a multitude
of world issues which are complicating their lives.
Linux is fresh, different and appealing and that is
what this generation wants.
Look at the iPhone, there is your market like it or not.