Re: [News] MEPIS Embraces KDE 4, Releases Live DVD

____/ Robin T Cox on Saturday 11 August 2007 09:45 : \____

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:32:07 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> <quote>
>> This decision of early adoption of KDE 4 by the MEPIS developers will
>> ensure a premier KDE experience for the users.
> </quote>
>
> A most courageous decision, not least for the users, in view of:
>
> <quote>
> The KDE 4 packages were compiled from the Debuntu developer upstream
> source. Experimental packages from Debian svn and from Ubuntu Universe
> were tested. Both built and ran, but the Ubuntu packages were more
> functional.
>
> KDE 4 Beta 1 is a very early release and is meant for developers, testers,
> and reviewers. Woodford warns, "The release is sluggish, [so] be patient
> when clicking to launch something. If you look past the rough edges, you
> will see the beginnings of a world-class desktop experience. If something
> doesn't work, you could consider reporting a bug at the KDE project, but I
> would recommend holding off until the next Beta release before submitting
> a lot of bug reports."
> </quote>
>
> Too bad that Woodford has decided to stop using the Ubuntu base ...

I think he found it hard to maintain and the quick/short cycle (LTS is not
Debian stable quality) forced him to go back to Debian.

Welcome to standards-compliant Web browsing. http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
Tasks: 105 total,   1 running, 104 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie