Re: [Rival] Microsoft Watch Editor Fed up, Finally Spills the Beans on Vista

____/ Rex Ballard on Friday 10 August 2007 17:13 : \____

> The irony is that this strategy has actually paid off very well for
> Microsoft in the server market.  Many companies are now deploying
> Windows 2003 "virtual servers" that are actually running as client to
> Linux based systems such as VMWare ESX and Xen.  In many cases, these
> customers are even using IIS and .NET as a "front door" to more
> dynamic "Home page" based portals.  Clients can register, get a
> persistent cookie, and the next time they go to the home page, it will
> be configured based on their preferences and interests.  Ironically,
> most of the back-end systems are still Unix and Linux, but the
> virtualized Windows server has increased the overall market share of
> IIS and Windows.  One of the big bonuses is that .NET 3.0 provides the
> ability to code once and have both an IE with ActiveX interface as
> well as a "Generic Browser" (Mozilla, Opera,...) interface without
> having to write special "test code".  Again, Microsoft has found that
> it's more effective to "play nice" with competitors and follow the
> standards than it is to try and "play dirty" by corrupting all the
> standards and trying to trick corporate customers into painting
> themselves into a corner.

I would have to strongly disagree with your ending. Microsoft continues to
escape cooperation, it ignores standards (and creates its own), then gaining
acceptance through corruption. Ballmer does not accept Linux either. He still
wants it destroyed. I could write a lot of text and provide many reference to
back this statement. I am 99% certain about this.

They have recently done a lot of work pretending to be friends, but talks
behind the scenes revealed that they were hostile and dishonest. They only
want to get closer to you so that they can stick a knife in your back or pull
the rug that's under your feet.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, then learn how to knit
Swap:  1510068k total,   662776k used,   847292k free,    51768k cached