Re: [News] Patent Mess, Copyright Troll, Patent Troll, and GPLv3's Role in SOA

____/ AB on Friday 10 August 2007 19:24 : \____

> On 2007-08-10, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>> Vonage "working around" Verizon patents
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Vonage was sued by Verizon on five counts of nicking technology in its
>>| Voice-over-IP operations. A jury found the company guilty of breaching
>>| three Verizon patents and fined the company $58 million.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41599
>
> I dropped them because of this. At the time their CEO said he doubted
> they could recover even if the verdict was turned around the following
> day, or if they had a workaround they could put in place immediately. I
> don't see that anything has changed.
>
> Sprint and some others are suing them for patent infringment, too. So
> they'll be nicled and dimed to death even if they eventually win
> everything.
>
> The bad news for me was that I went with SunRocket because Vonage was
> sunk. Last month SunRocket went out of business without warning. Now
> I'm with another company (I can't even remember the name) so I could
> keep my number while I look for another (hopefully) stable company. I
> still have no long term hope that Vonage will recover. The nobody
> company I transferred to had a deal with SunRocket to transfer
> everything without interrupting service and using the same equipment.
> The line is noisy at the beginning of calls, but I still have the
> number.
>
> If Skype did 911 I'd be tempted. But I figured out the costs of their
> service and it isn't as cheap as it seems at first glance (ring-in
> number, unlimited outgoing, cost of equipment that I can use with
> multiple phones, etc). Without 911 it's not worth it to me.
>
> I'm trying to figure a way to get outgoing local (wired) calls, and
> other outside of the internet calls without the phone wires. As cheap
> as possible.

What about that startup which makes Ooma (?)? It needs some hacking, but it
gives you free calls for a lifetime. Or so they say...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 05:00:01 up 4 days,  7:53,  5 users,  load average: 1.61, 2.10, 2.21