Re: Tips: How to Convince People to Migrate to GNU/Linux

Verily I say unto thee, that Dylnuge spake thusly:

> Not to mention that if you want to switch a Mac user, all
> your argument just died.

The thing is that the existence of the Mac platform is not much of a
threat to other platforms, whereas Windows certainly is ("embrace,
extend, and extinguish"). Therefore my personal focus would be to switch
Windows users, who represent a huge majority. I do not want the whole
world to switch to GNU/Linux, I just want to kill the very real threat
that Microsoft and Windows is to the industry, get back to a level
playing field, and have an environment where all platforms can co-exist
peacefully, without the threat of extinction at the hands of
corporations that behave like gangsters.

Of course open standards is a key part of that, something which
Microsoft despises (and Apple too, to a lesser extent), because closed
standards is one of the key weapons proprietary software vendors use to
lock-in customers and destroy the competition.

So when I talk of killing the Microsoft threat, what I really mean is
killing the threat of encumbered, proprietary software and closed
standards. It's just that Microsoft is the biggest threat, and therefore
should be a GNU/Linux advocate's primary focus for targeting switchers.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Proprietary licenses, the crack cocaine of software finance."
|  - Matt Asay, CNET

 03:42:57 up 2 days,  2:38,  2 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.21, 0.24