[News] Linux on the Desktop and the Cluster Does the 'Heavy Work'

  • Subject: [News] Linux on the Desktop and the Cluster Does the 'Heavy Work'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:29:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Animal Logic keeps Linux on edge

,----[ Quote ]
| "We do have a number of Linux servers used for running NIS, proprietary
| tools, and a mail server," Timbs said. "The bulk of the core services run on
| Linux but we also use Actively Directory.
|
| On the desktop, some R&D and system administration staff use Linux. Animal
| Logic does some in-house software development in addition to using
| off-the-shelf tools like Maya and XSI.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1653823406;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

SGI Completes Fiscal 2007 With Key Customer Wins, Launches New HPC Blade System

,----[ Quote ]
| Installed in August at the NASA Advanced Supercomputing (NAS) facility at the
| Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, Calif., the new system is the first
| supercomputer to operate 2,048 Intel(R) Itanium(R) 2 processor cores and 4TB
| of memory under a single copy of Linux(R) OS; as such, it is the largest
| Linux single system image (SSI) in the world.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQTH11430082007-1.htm

Related:

Top 500 Supers: Moore's Law Is Alive and Well

,----[ Quote ]
| There are two Windows-based clusters, and 42 machines that run a mix
| of operating systems--and one of those operating systems in the mix is
| always a Linux and the other is a variant of Unix. If you want to be
| fair, Linux is represented on 86 percent of the machines...
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb071007-story02.html

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]