[News] New Study Finds That Free Software Has a Positive Economic Effect

  • Subject: [News] New Study Finds That Free Software Has a Positive Economic Effect
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:11:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
PS-OSS : A study about Public Sector involvement in Open Source software

,----[ Quote ]
| As for the impact of FLOSS releases on the economy, neither the “releasers”
| nor the “non-releasers” expect a negative economic impact of public bodies
| releasing their own software as FLOSS. Quite to the contrary, there is some
| confidence that it might have some positive economic impact, if any.
`----

http://www.zeapartners.org/articles/ps-oss007

Is free and open code a form of infrastructure? How about the humans who write
it?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here in the free software and open source (FOSS) worlds, we're used to
| making, and employing, building materials that are products of human
| mentation.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000298

Other open source news:

Conduct Joins Pentaho Partner Program

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=765430

Zmanda Launches Open Source Backup App for the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Amanda is nothing new. The freely downloadable software was developed at the
| University of Maryland more than 10 years ago.

EU report on FLOSS: "FLOSS saves money"