[News] A Look at Progress (or Lack Thereof) and Promises from AMD/ATI

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Progress (or Lack Thereof) and Promises from AMD/ATI
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:54:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The ATI R500 On Linux: Then & Now

,----[ Quote ]
| As is quite visible from the results, the performance overall for the past
| sixteen months has been stagnate. With the Radeon X1300PRO and X1800XL and
| our select benchmarks, there is no major performance improvement in the fglrx
| 8.40.4 driver over the original 8.24.4 version. In fact, in some of the
| benchmarks the 8.40.4 display driver was even slower than v8.24.4. While any
| performance improvements remain nonexistent, the past sixteen driver releases
| have added a number of new features and corrected a number of bugs.
| Fortunately, however, as we have been sharing for the past several months,
| later this year AMD will be introducing a new Linux display driver. On that
| day, we will be delivering benchmarks across all supported Radeon product
| families.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=817&num=1

The open source (truly Free) driver is coming along nicely.

Related:

Open-Source ATI Driver Gets TV-Out Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to recent commits in the RandR 1.2 branch for the open-source X.Org
| Radeon driver, it's now possible to use S-Video and composite TV output on
| your ATI graphics card without any patches.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=806&num=1

Avivo R500 Linux Driver Status

| A month ago we told you that Avivo v0.1.0 (the open-source ATI R500 X1000
| Linux driver) was coming soon, but still we have not seen this release.
`----

http://phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTk2NQ

Avivo vs. Fglrx Driver In GtkPerf

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see from the timed results, the GTK+ performance when using
| the Avivo driver with ShadowFB enabled had sharply outperformed the
| 8.39 fglrx driver (partly due to the CPU operations).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=779&num=1

ATI R200 TV-Out In Open-Source Driver

,----[ Quote ]