[News] Windows Brings Security Problems to Mobile Devices

  • Subject: [News] Windows Brings Security Problems to Mobile Devices
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:49:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Symantec promises PC-style security for Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| With the rising popularity of mobile devices and the increased volume of
| information stored on them, PDAs and smartphones are becoming a prime target
| for financially motivated attacks," said Craig Scroggie, Symantec's senior
| director of business development for Asia Pacific and Japan.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14238&Itemid=1054

Related:

Flaw in 3rd-party App Weakens Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Being a Microsoft ally may spell profits but it also spells malicious
| users out to find cracks in your armor. Trend Micro discovers such a
| crack this week on a 3rd-party application commonly used on Windows
| mobile, a compact version of Windows designed for mobile devices,
| such as Pocket PCs and Smartphones.
`----

http://blog.trendmicro.com/flaw-in-3rd-party-app-weakens-windows-mobile/

Microsoft doesn't deny Windows Mobile flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has refused to deny that the most recent version of
| Windows Mobile leaves data poorly secured on handsets.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39284532,00.htm

Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
Test

,----[ Quote ]
| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
`----

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html

Smartphones get a firewall

,----[ Quote ]
| V3 will only run on the latest Windows Mobile 5 and Symbian 9.1
| systems though, the rationale being that as the market grows so
| fast, they will be the bulk of malware-targeted systems very soon.
|
| [...]
|
| The Windows release is out now and the Symbian one will follow early in
| 2007. The software costs $35 (£20), which includes a year's updates and
| service.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/14/trendmicro_mobile_sec/

Review of Windows Mobile 6.0 for PPC (Crossbow) operating system

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm-crossbow-en.shtml