Re: Federal Fight Against Linux and Free Software (Using Stereotypes)

____/ John Locke on Thursday 30 August 2007 16:47 : \____

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:21:00 -0700, Darth Chaos <DarthChaosofRSPW@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>On Aug 29, 7:17 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> From Zero to Holy $&*#!
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://nixedblog.thenixedreport.com/?p=55
>>
>>All it takes is a well-crafted, well-orchestrated false-flag attack on
>>the internet by some FBI-employed hacker using a Linux-based operating
>>system to accomplish that goal...and the sad thing is, the dumbed-down
>>American sheeple will go along with the same old "give up your
>>liberties, or al-Qaeda will get you" BS. Many governments have, in the
>>past, used false-flag attacks in the past to take away the people's
>>liberties. And the false-flag attacks will keep on coming.
>
> The U.S. congress is hell bent on trading liberties for security. To a
> technically ignorant  congress, Linux is free, open and unregulated thus it
> is a tool of the devil. (and there aren't any convenient backdoors for
> Homeland Security).
>
> I could see these jerks passing legislation banning open software. It would
> not surprise me. Just watch. Given the current insane political climate in
> the U.S., the concepts of "free" and "open" are on the endangered list.

Don't you remember the recent incident where they banned an element of open
source?

Wireless Software for Linux Cleared of Legal Uncertainty by SFLC

,----[ Quote ]
| After performing the audit, SFLC concluded that OpenHAL does not infringe
| copyrights held by Atheros. As a result, OpenHAL development can now continue
| safely, unencumbered by legal uncertainty so long as the OpenHAL developers
| continue their work in isolation from Atheros' proprietary code.
|
| [...]
|
| "We believe that this outcome will clear the way for eventual acceptance of a
| new wireless driver into the Linux kernel," said John Linville, the Linux
| kernel maintainer for wireless networking.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/jul/31/openhal/

The FCC, FOSS, and software radios: a mixed bag

,----[ Quote ]
| After studying the new rules -- published in the Federal Register last month
| and taking effect today -- the SFLC concluded that the laws are not
| FOSS-restrictive because they "apply to hardware manufacturers who distribute
| SDR devices, regardless if they use FOSS in them or not." And the Center says
| that since the rules specifically mention the GNU/Linux operating system, the
| FCC is actually acknowledging the importance of open source.

http://www.linux.com/feature/116769

Europe is conducting studies on FLOSS, so there's little reason to worry.
America can fight against FLOSS, but the rest of the world will not....
unless....

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2958

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
Cpu(s): 27.4%us,  4.9%sy,  1.0%ni, 61.9%id,  4.3%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st