[News] [Rival] Respectable Windows Man Slams the Windows Registry Idea (*NIX Has it Right)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Respectable Windows Man Slams the Windows Registry Idea (*NIX Has it Right)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:32:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Was The Windows Registry a Good Idea?

,----[ Quote ]
| What's depressing about all of this is how prescient the UNIX conventions are
| in retrospect. How many billions of man-hours could we have saved by now if
| some early Windows NT 3.0 or 3.5 developers had decided to turn off public
| access to the registry, and transparently redirected the public registry API
| calls so they followed simpler, UNIX-like filesystem storage conventions
| instead?

Why is Windows Registry Cleaning Necessary

,----[ Quote ]
| For this reason, periodic Windows Registry cleaning will not only
| optimize your system's performance, but can also extend its life
| expectancy by keeping the Registry's growth uniform and in check.
`----

http://www.articleswww.com/Article/Why-is-Windows-Registry-Cleaning-Necessary/26128

PC Windows Registry must be clean - who cares?

,----[Quote ]
| I believe almost nobody cares about this. This is because almost
| nobody knows that his/her PC even has a registry or heard about
| its influences on the computer's performance. But all PC users
| have to care: when your computer becomes much slower than it
| used to be, when its performance becomes unstable, it is notb
| ecause the computer is "tired" but most probably because its
| registry gets "dusty".
`----

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=499235

Final thoughts and questions

,----[ Quote ]
| The Vista train is running full steam to its release date on November
| 30 to businesses and January 30, 2007 to store shelves. Is Vista
| really ready? That depends on what it will be ready for. We expect
| that the biggest headache for users will be so-called in-placeu
| pgrades. While Vista was reasonable on all the machines where we
| performed a clean install, it was an absolute mess on the machine
| upgraded from XP, and this problem has been noted by others.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/vintagevista.ars

KDE config to get a SQL backend

`----