[News] [Rival] Microsoft Has Taken Control of Xen (Proxy Used to Escape Antitrust Wrath and GPL)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Has Taken Control of Xen (Proxy Used to Escape Antitrust Wrath and GPL)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:21:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Heady Days for Virtual Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The former Microsoft Latest News about Microsoft general manager is
| now vice president of XenSource, a Palo Alto, Calif., virtualization
| company with a growing outpost in Redmond, Wash.

When you can't beat them, buy them. That what they do with OOXML, don't they?

Related:

Shareholders Sue Over Alleged Backdating by Citrix Systems Execs

,----[ Quote ]
| A year after John C. Burris was hired as senior vice president of Citrix
| Systems, the company's compensation committee granted him options for 42,000
| shares of company stock valued at $15.69 a share, according to court
| documents.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1187859734781

Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix?

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
| offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
| virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
| and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated.

What the XenSource deal says about open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is what Citrix is paying for. That and a close relationship with
| Microsoft that looks likely to get closer. “We will be building dynamic
| virtualization services and management tools on top of Viridian,” Levine
| added. “We will build the same set of products we’ve built on top of Xen for
| Viridian. We’ve already hired a team to go do that up in Redmond.”
|
| While Citrix maintained it will continue support for the Xen project, this
| deal is not about a proprietary vendor getting open source religion. It's
| about grabbing an emerging player in a rapidly expanding sector of the
| market.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/what_the_xensou.html

Increasing Virtualization Insanity

,----[ Quote ]
| For sysadmin types this means: do what you have to do with Xen for now. But
| keep the investments small. For developers this means: don't let yourself be
| tied to a platform. Use an abstraction layer such as libvirt to bridge over
| the differences. For architects this means: don't looking to Xen for answers,
| base your new designs on KVM.
`----

http://udrepper.livejournal.com/17577.html

Virtualization Market Reshapes

,----[ Quote ]
| "We prefer more freeware and open source," said Christopher Boone, CEO of
| AppCentral Technologies, in San Francisco. "We had considered XenSource in
| the past, but we have a partnership with Microsoft and use their [free
| virtualization technology]…I think we will see a lot of consolidation in this
| space. EMC's acquisition of VMware and now the IPO and its performance [are]
| indicative of the market's appetite for this kind of technology."

Does Citrix Have A Chance Against VMware In Virtualization?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/08/27/does-citrix-have-a-chance-against-vmware-in-virtualization/?mod=yahoobarrons
http://tinyurl.com/35bvcg