Re: Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML

____/ alt on Thursday 30 August 2007 01:28 : \____

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:09:53 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
>

>> One of the big "features" of OOXML is the ability to include "blobs"
>> (binary large objects), within the XML message itself.  You can wrap an
>> entire word document in an OOXML wrapper, and be "compliant".  You can
>> also wrap WMA, PPT, XLS, and VSD objects within OOXML, and still be
>> compliant.
>>
>> Of course, this pretty much nullifies all of the reasons for using XML in
>> the first place.
>
> That's probably the largest reason I am against OOXML. Being able to
> include a proprietary object within a standard is misleading.
>
> And I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what happens in Office 2010
> after the ISO "approves" OOXML as a standard.

There's a lot more to this:

* OOXML already has 'extensions'.

* MSO07 does not implement OOXML.

* OOXML is incomplete in that respect.

* Binary enclosures (in line) are part of the spec.

* OOXML is Windows-only (unless you backward engineer Windows under your O/S of
  choice).

There is more to be said here, but it's a case of repeating old fact that
Microsoft is hiding.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
Swap:  1510068k total,   552872k used,   957196k free,    65840k cached