[News] GPLv3 is Already Beating Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] GPLv3 is Already Beating Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:19:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GPLv3 Myth #4: GPLv3 undercuts the Microsoft/Novell deal

,----[ Quote ]
| So clearly, GPLv3 will have no effect on the MS/Novell agreement, which was
| completed in 2006. But what about other deals, such as the latest one between
| Microsoft and Linspire? Some in the free software community were hoping that
| MS would make more deals after Novell, so that they would be forced to
| swallow the “poison pill” in GPLv3 making any patent grants universal. Not so
| fast, says Microsoft.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=375

He misunderstands this. Companies cannot enter deals (no matter how big the
Microsoft bribe is) because that would kill them (just watch Linspire). It's
not about the poison pill, so it proved to be effective. No deals have been
made since GPLv3 was released.

Last night:

FSF to Microsoft: "You Can't Declare Yourself Exempt from GPLv3"

,----[ Quote ]