[News] KDE 4.0 is Just the Beginning, GNOME Descends to Mono (.NET)

  • Subject: [News] KDE 4.0 is Just the Beginning, GNOME Descends to Mono (.NET)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:47:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE 4.0: revolution or hype?

,----[ Quote ]
| "4.0 will probably not be the revolution, and we won't take over the world in
| one day," he said. "We will, however, increase the profile and the market
| share of the free desktop significantly over the KDE4 cycle. An important
| point one needs to remember is that KDE 4.0 is only the beginning. It'll be
| the first desktop to be exposed to the user, and it's the base for our work
| for the next, say, five years."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;339066012

On GNOME's 10th anniversary, de Icaza and Waugh look back, ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| Though de Icaza is no longer directly involved with GNOME development, he
| says his work on Mono, and that of the rest of his team at Novell, "pretty
| much revolves around the goals from 10 years ago." He says he keeps in touch
| with GNOME developers, but "mostly with those who are using the APIs and
| tools that we are creating, like the Banshee Media Music Player, the F-Spot
| manager, and the Bater collaboration tool."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118772

What is this man thinking? According to a Gartner analyst (2 days ago, not
exact quote), "a lot of SUSE developers left because of the Microsoft/Novell
deal." It seems like de Icaza and Microsoft have taken control of SUSE's
direction.