Re: Windows Genuine Advantage cries wolf (again)

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Tuesday 28 August 2007 18:36 : \____

> <Quote>
> Over the weekend, thousands of Microsoft customers who tried to
> download patches or updates for Windows were falsely accused of
> running a pirated version of Windows....
>
> "WGA's goal is not to punish the people who purchase these programs;
> they, of all people are the most victimized," wrote Alex Kochis, WGA
> senior product manager in the WGA blog. "The goal is to give these
> people a tool to let them know they have been victimized and can do
> something about it."
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.theregister.com/2007/08/27/wga_server_outage_aug_2007/
>
> Linux does not have Windows Genuine Advantage.  Anything in the Linux
> world that is advertised as "Genuine Advantage" is almost always a
> genuine advantage.  Orwellian twists of language are uncommon in the
> Linux world.   Free and open source software FOSS, upon which GNU/
> Linux is based, is designed to liberate you, not to lock you in.
> "Improvements" are real improvements, designed for technical reasons,
> not to thwart competitors, lock you into a pointless and expensive
> upgrade cycle, or for other anticompetitive reasons.
>
> I mention this because this newsgroup is infested with trolls (=paid
> Microsoft propagandists) who whine endlessly that any news about
> Microsoft is off-topic or irrelevant in a Linux news group.  In fact,
> the charter of this newsgroup explicitly states that it is a purpose
> of the newsgroup is to compare Linux to other operating systems.  I am
> doing that here.  Regular readers will not need to hear this, but any
> newcomers should be informed.  If you, newcomer, do not believe me,
> then just read the newsgroup for a while.

Forget about "trolls". Some of them are using "(Internet) sockpuppet"
identities to make the same arguments. They hope they can suppress criticism
of Microsoft's crimes so it'll go unnoticed and undocumented.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
Tasks: 115 total,   1 running, 114 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie