Re: [News] [SOT] MP3 FUD Being Spread, RIAA Apparently Struggles

> Producers howl over sound cut out by MP3 compression
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| MP3s have won the war of the formats because of technology, not because of
>| their audio quality. "It's like hearing through a screen door," says
>| neuroscientist Daniel Levitin of McGill University, author of "This Is Your
>| Brain on Music."
> `----
>
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/327319_mp3sound13.html

Obviously the sound quality is reduced, that's what compression means.
Frankly, even the A/D process in the first place must introduce some
kinds of artefact, even if they're beyond the capabilities of current
generation technology to accurately measure.  And many people still
argue that CDs sound harsh compared with vinyl.

Personally, although I have some respectable hifi, if I want to hear
/really/ good sound, then I go to a concert.  And I don't listen to
amplified music at all.

There is nothing like a good orchestra and choir in full swing, and no
hifi comes close.

Even Roger Waters live is pretty good.