Re: [News] iPhones to Serve as MythTV Remote Controls

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 28 August 2007 11:49 : \____

>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 28 August 2007 10:17 : \____

>>> Some laptops have exloded like fireworks though, even recently. Sony
>>> batteries, I suspect. Then there's the new Sony rootkit. :-(
>>> Linux-incompatible... poor us.
>>>

>> Batteries have been a real nightmare.  Nokia had to withdraw a load
>> manufactured by Matsushita, recently (Panasonic, Technics and many other
>> brand names).
>
> This isn't a platform-related issue. Quite software-agnostic, in fact, but one
> has to wonder why/how they shove so much power into such small space. This
> greed (or grid) for power has shades of Vista.
>
> "Vista" should have a definition that can be used to describe a phenomenon
> where as much as one can afford, one shall be forced to consume.

Unfortunately, it's the essence of small devices.  If you go back to the
Psion 5mx, it took a pair of AA batteries (used to be HP7 when I was
young :-), but only offered a few hours of usage from them, although you
could use rechargables.  The Psion 3 lasted for days, afairc.  Then
endless search for greater performance/power is to an extent facilitated
by Moore's law, which works completely against batteries at the same
time as working for processors and increasing scales of integration.

Of course, people then want the 2 billion pixel cameras, the ARM22
chips, the high-power radios with broadband data, the SVGA displays, the
polyphonic ring-tones, the calendar and diary integration, the bluetooth
connectivity, the mp3 playing etc. etc.

We need the chemists to steel a march on the physicists!