[News] Linux 'Marketing' in a World Where Desktops and Windows Are Synonymous

  • Subject: [News] Linux 'Marketing' in a World Where Desktops and Windows Are Synonymous
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:59:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Importance of Grassroots Marketing Efforts for FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the problem is familiarity. People have never heard the terms "Linux"
| or "Free/Open Source Software". Despite word-of-mouth advertsing being the
| best means of advertising, many people still don't know what FOSS or
| GNU/Linux is. I meet them everyday. I know at least one man who literally
| thought Microsoft IS computing. In other words, he thought Microsoft was the
| only company out there doing software. It's true, he is not among the most
| knowledgeable users. Still, the Microsoft brand is simply that pervasive.
| What the FOSS community needs is the pervasive brand recognition that will
| help improve the word-of-mouth evangelists in the field become more
| effective.
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/importance_grassroots_marketing_efforts_foss

Free Desktop milestone today, but no big announcement was made:

XGI driver 1.5.0 release (Development of xf86-video-xgi and xf86-video-xgixp
drivers)

http://people.freedesktop.org/~idr/blog/index.php?category=XGI