[News] [SOT] American's Big Media Still Shuts Down Torrents Blindly (Also Linux)

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] American's Big Media Still Shuts Down Torrents Blindly (Also Linux)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:52:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
TorrentSpy shuts doors to America

,----[ Quote ]
| But he eventually admitted that the MPAA case was a "catalyst" in the
| decision.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/28/torrentspy_shuts_doors_to_america/

Anime Distributor Has No Legal Right to Threaten BitTorrent Users

,----[ Quote ]
| A company that tracked thousands of users sharing anime via BitTorrent has
| lost its legal battle to force an ISP to reveal its customer’s details.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/anime-distributor-has-no-legal-right-to-threaten-bittorrent-users/

This is a risk to Linux distros and Free software.

Related:

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
| BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
| in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
| A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
| trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
| ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
| BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
| P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
| bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
| stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
| because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
| to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
| provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.”
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]