[News] Hypervisors a Possible Tivoization Loophole, Solution Needed for Digital Restrictions

  • Subject: [News] Hypervisors a Possible Tivoization Loophole, Solution Needed for Digital Restrictions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 04:09:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Using a hypervisor to reconcile GPL and proprietary embedded code

,----[ Quote ]
| This guest whitepaper explains how a hypervisor can be used to leverage GPL
| software while isolating it from proprietary code, in order to ensure
| compliance with the requirements of the GPL.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3899346728.html

The Big Failure of the FSF

,----[ Quote ]
| Getting people’s attention is even more important than trying to develop a
| free BIOS or a free flash player. The industry offers technology and people
| accept/reject it, this is how things work and this is why having people on
| our side is the way to go (instead of begging the industry for mercy). There
| would be no need to develop a free alternative to the Google Earth client in
| a Free Software-aware society, for example.
`----

http://blog.gustavonarea.net/en/2007/08/27/the-big-failure-of-the-fsf/

Related:

TiVoToGo DRM cracked

,----[ Quote ]
| Megazone over at TiVo Lovers is reporting that someone's cracTiVoked
| the DRM on TiVoToGo, letting you export recorded programs from a TiVo
| for viewing on any device.
`----

http://www.pvrwire.com/2006/12/03/tivotogo-drm-cracked/

Gunning for Tivo in the GPL debate