[News] Companies and OEMs Shift Gear to Linux

  • Subject: [News] Companies and OEMs Shift Gear to Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:24:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Becoming a Linux OEM: A Roadmap

,----[ Quote ]
| System76 has been able to establish itself as a real Linux distributor early
| on, as it sells both notebooks and desktop machines. Other great examples
| include  Emperor Linux and Linux Certified, both of which have been doing
| this a lot longer than System76, though only with notebook-based Linux
| systems.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3696461

Open Source: Changing Models, Changing Mindsets, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| "Indeed, the evolution of the Internet is deeply interwoven with BSD Unix --
| the original open source -- and now Linux," he said.

TurboLinux computers now sold by EPSON

,----[ Quote ]
| DELL did it, now it's EPSON's turn to propose computers running Linux
| as OS, their offer is made of the Endeavor LX7800, a desktop available
| in BTO with CPUs going from the Celeron to the inevitable Core 2 Duo
| and the Endeavor LX1000 which is a laptop also available in Build To
| Order. This one features an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphic card and a
| 15 inches XGA resolution.
`----

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-14220-TurboLinux+computers+now+sold+by+EPSON.html

Toshiba Italy mulls pre-loaded Linux notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba's Italian channel sales and marketing operation reportedly
| is considering offering pre-loaded Linux in its Tecra, Satellite, Portege,
| and Qosmio notebook lines, according to a story published online last week
| in the Il Sole newspaper.

Dude, I'm Getting a Dell...with Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| Last night, my boyfriend and I customized a Dell Inspiron 530N desktop with
| Ubuntu version 7.04 pre-installed. You may be wondering, why convert to an
| open-source platform? We were tired of Microsoft's security issues. Plus,
| there are still many apps and hardware that aren't compatible with Vista yet,
| not to mention the cheapest Vista edition you can buy is $199.
`----

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/08/dude_im_getting_a_dellwith_lin.php

Acer and Ubuntu? What Acer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Naaay. No demand? If so, why is Acer shipping to EMEA (Europe, the Middle
| East and Africa) at least 11 configurations with Linpus Linux instead of
| Windows?
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/07/31/15/27/12-acer-and-ubuntu-what-acer-

Lenovo to sell laptops with Linux