[News] Germany Politicians Afraid of Microsoft Windows Zombies

  • Subject: [News] Germany Politicians Afraid of Microsoft Windows Zombies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:57:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Politicians want to be informed on Chinese Trojan attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| Ruprecht Polenz (CDU), chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs,
| said: "If there is clear evidence that the Chinese state is responsible for
| these attacks, we cannot let the matter rest." According to a Spiegel report,
| the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution assumes that
| experts of the Chinese army have conducted the online espionage attacks
| against the Federal Chancellery, the ministry of economics, the ministry of
| research and also the ministry of foreign affairs.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94983/from/rss09

It's time for Germany to hurry up with its planned migration to Linux and
FLOSS.

Related:

China Crafts Cyberweapons

,----[ Quote ]
| The Defense Department reports China is building cyberwarfare
| units and developing viruses.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,132284-pg,1/article.html(News)

EU should class cyber attacks as terrorism: Estonia

,----[ Quote ]
| Estonia will propose at a meeting of European Union justice
| ministers next week that the bloc consider cyber attacks as
| "acts of terror", Estonian Justice Minister Rein Lang said Thursday.
`----

http://www.france24.com/france24Public/en/administration/afp-news.html?id=070607160418.pfpmeqvt&cat=science

Tiscali e-mail 'hit' by spammers

,----[ Quote ]
| Spammers have knocked out the e-mail service for many of the customers
| of internet service provider (ISP) Tiscali, the firm has said.

Telegraph floored by DDoS attack

,----[ Quote ]
| Cyber-attacks have been much in the news of late. Last week,
| Russian and European leaders held a summit in the aftermath of a
| three-week cycle of denial of service attacks targeting the
| Baltic countries' internet infrastructure.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/telegraph_ddos/

Estonia suspects Kremlin in Web attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| He said more than 1 million computers worldwide have been used in
| recent weeks to attack Estonian government and business Web sites
| since a dispute arose with Moscow over Estonia's moving of a
| Soviet-era war memorial from downtown Tallinn.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/05/17/estonia.cyber.attacks.ap/index.html?eref=rss_tech

State Department got mail and hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| A break-in targeting State Department computers worldwide last
| summer occurred after a department employee in Asia opened a
| mysterious e-mail that quietly allowed hackers inside the U.S.
| government's network.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/ap_on_hi_te/hackers_state_department

The feds weigh in on Windows security

,----[ Quote ]
| "The benefits of this move are enormous: Common, secure configurations
| can help slow botnet spreading, can radically reduce delays in patching,
| can stop many attacks directly, and organizations that have made the
| move report that it actually saves money rather than costs money,"
| Paller wrote.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6172158.html

Zombie botnets attack global DNS servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Hackers launched a sustained attack last night against key root servers
| which form the backbone of the internet.
|
| Security firm Sophos said that botnets of zombie PCs bombarded the
| internet's domain name system (DNS) servers with traffic.
|
| "These zombie computers could have brought the web to its knees,"
| said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2174383/zombie-botnets-attack-global

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
|                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
|                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

EveryDNS, OpenDNS Under Botnet DDoS Attack

,----[ Quote ]
| The last time the Web mob (spammers and phishers using botnets)
| decided to go after a security service, Blue Security was forced
| to fold and collateral damage extended to several businesses,
| including Six Apart.
`----

http://securitywatch.eweek.com/exploits_and_attacks/everydns_opendns_under_botnet_ddos_attack.html

U.S. cyber counterattack: Bomb 'em one way or the other

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/020807-rsa-cyber-attacks.html