[News] Virtualisation -- Linux First, Windows Later

  • Subject: [News] Virtualisation -- Linux First, Windows Later
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:27:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Fastscale puts VMware on a diet

,----[ Quote ]
| Fastscale remains a Linux-only thang but has Windows support scheduled to
| arrive in the fourth quarter. It also plans to support the Xen hypervisor in
| the fourth quarter in conjunction with its support for Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux 5. "We have pushed out our Solaris plans solely because we have not had
| customer demand," LeBlanc said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/27/fastscale_vmware_virtual_manager/

On the other hand:

Hit the Pano button - desktops go virtual

,----[ Quote ]
| For the moment, Pano's software only works in conjunction with VMware's
| virtualization software and Windows. Down the road, however, you could expect
| to see Linux and Xen support added.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/27/pano_logic_virtualization_pc/

Related:

Dell Keeps Linux Penguins Marching Forward

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell first announced that it would preinstall Ubuntu Linux on some of its
| consumer desktops and notebooks just three months ago, but the results have
| shown the vendor that there is no reason to stop there.
`----

http://www.channelinsider.com/article/Dell+Keeps+Linux+Penguins+Marching+Forward/213850_1.aspx

Dell Creating Consumer PCs Complete with Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| And in a similar fashion to what Parallels and VMware Fusion did for the
| Intel-based Mac community, this could give the Linux operating system a boost
| from consumers who want to use the open source software but don't want to
| lose out on what Microsoft's Windows platforms offer.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2007/08/dell_creating_c.html

Dell Talks Linux Virtualization Redux

,----[ Quote ]