Re: India Reject of Microsoft a 'Sputnik'

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 25 August 2007 22:48 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
>
>> [3] Microsoft wouldn't give a damn, either, unless something cuts
>> into their profits.
>
> But they obviously /do/ give a damn, since they seem to be spending
> *huge* resources on lobbying and disinformation in an attempt to
> monopolise protocols and standards. If those standards are locked-in to
> one particular platform - /their platform/ - then that guarantees the
> future sustainability of the status quo (i.e. monopoly for life). Take
> away those closed standards, and replace them with Open Standards which
> are accessible on /all/ platforms, and the monopoly is crushed ...
> paving the way to the domination of Open Platforms. This would most
> certainly "cut into their profits".
>
> Closer examination reveals that OOXML is not as "open" as it pretends to
> be, Sliverlight depends on .NET encumbered technologies, MDF is
> similarly encumbered, and one of the biggest threats to interoperability
> and digital Freedom - Windows Media - is as closed as they come.
>
> Microsoft technology is like a slow acting toxin, causing a creeping
> paralysis that reaches into every corner of society. But Microsoft
> thinks that just because they stick a "Good For You" label on the
> bottle, that everyone will drink it. Some of us aren't so gullible.

They even use names like "Silverlight" to quiet down the mob. It's also
MS-DRM-dependent, among other things. There is a whole big stack of lock-ins
and it was quietly integrated into Vista. This lockin 'conspiracy' must be
fought against sooner rather than later.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=