[News] [Rival] Microsoft Spreads More OOXML/ODF FUD, OOXML Broken Apart

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Spreads More OOXML/ODF FUD, OOXML Broken Apart
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 06:05:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft Office XML Formats? Defective by design

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is trying to push new file formats that are using ZIP and XML. Are
| those new file formats any good for Office developers ? In other words,
| should anyone feel safe to make direct access to file parts, and start
| forgetting about using running instances Microsoft Office and its COM object
| model, usually through VBA ?
|
| Microsoft does not run out of teasing. There is ton of videos, see here, and
| here for example, screencasts, articles and blog posts (self-serving
| Microsoft blog posts mostly) about how much they are opening up.
`----

http://www.arstdesign.com/articles/DefectiveByDesign.htm

Microsoft contaminates Wikipedia and the Web with disinformation. Money buys
lies. Big Lies.

Microsoft FUD Watch [on OOXML and more]

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft released a letter from both men— "The Making of an Open Standard"—
| on Tuesday. The FUD starts with the title and continues through every
| paragraph. Context is the major reason.
|
| Microsoft is engaged in a desperate effort to get OOXML through the ISO's
| (International Organization for Standardization) fast-track standardization.
| The process isn't going well for Microsoft—and a crucial vote occurs in early
| September. Microsoft has engaged in an aggressive campaign to get the
| fast-track votes.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/server/microsoft_fud_watch_82407.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Lies from *YESTERDAY ALONE*:

MSOOXML: Third Party Support - Apple iWork '08

,----[ Quote ]
| When Apple released iWork '08, the Microsoft bloggers immediately jumped in
| to comment on how this is proof that MSOOXML is easily implementable by third
| parties. First of all, we need to realise that Apple sits in the Technical
| Committee at Ecma which "developed" this so called standard. So we should not
| be surprised at all if they have support of this file format in their
| upcoming products including the iPhone.
|
| What is not said however, and I have been waiting for days for a response
| from Microsoft's Stephen McGibbon, is why Apple does NOT really support
| MSOOXML....
|
| And it gets more interesting. The Cybertech Rambler has taken some time out
| to review the file formats in iWork '08. ...He also confirms what the
| Microsofties refuse to confirm: "on closer reading of iWorks website and
| documentation, it appears that iWorks can only read OOXML file but cannot
| write it. That’s a pity."
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/08/msooxml-third-p.html

Correcting false statements by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| I think it is important to correct the false - or maybe misquoted -
| statements by Vijay Kapoor, national technology officer of Microsoft India
| that I found in this interview under the question "Why does Microsoft want
| another standard, what's the rationale?". Microsoft starts the reply
| with "There are at least 4 good reasons why:" and then states the first
| reason.
|
| [...]
|
| Thus, all in all, the arguments provided by Microsoft in the interview don't
| seem to be valid.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/correcting_false_statements_by_microsoft

Microsoft cannot resolve OOXML JTC1 ballot comments

,----[ Quote ]
| Unless, of course, Microsoft = OOXML as far as ECMA is concerned. If this is
| the case, I would like to hear this from ECMA because it would simplify
| matters.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1807

Related:

Microsoft Hires Programmer to edit Wikipedia Entry For OOXML