[News] Linux Servers Have Filesystem and Storage Advantage Over Windows

  • Subject: [News] Linux Servers Have Filesystem and Storage Advantage Over Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 00:15:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Cure for Exchange Storage Bloat

,----[ Quote ]
| Users spend precious work hours copying e-mails to desktop PST files – which
| may be backed up rarely or never – or other secondary e-mail storage systems,
| copying them to their hard drives, or just deleting these important business
| records. If an employee needs to reference an old e-mail, he has to remember
| what it was called and where he filed it, then reload the PST file and search
| for the message. The productivity hit can be huge, and there is no guarantee
| the employee will actually find the critical information he is looking for.
|
| [...]
|
| Modern Linux filing systems such as XFS and Ext3 leverage these optimizations
| and support features such as journaling (to ensure hierarchy integrity
| following a power cut), clustering and replication (DRBD), and snapshots (via
| LVM). With modern e-mail server architecture, IT can complete backup
| operations without requiring a freeze or a database snapshot.
`----

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/storage/features/article.php/3696246

Related:

Why so many filesystems for Linux? What's the difference?

,----[ Quote ]
|     * EXT3
|
|         * Most popular Linux file system, limited scalability in size and
|         number of files
|         * Journaled
|         * POSIX extended access control
|
|     EXT3
|     file system is a journaled file system that has the greatest use in
|     Linux today. It is the "Linux" File system. It is quite robust and
|     quick, although it does not scale well to large volumes nor a great
|     number of files. Recently a scalability feature was added called
|     htrees, which significantly improved EXT3's scalability.
|

| [...]
|
|     * FAT32
|
|         * Most limited file system, but most ubiquitous
|         * Not Journaled
|         * No access controls
|
|     FAT32
|     is the crudest of the file systems listed. Its popularity is with its
|     widespread use and popularity in the Windows desktop world and that it
|     has made its way into being the file system in flash RAM devices
|     (digital cameras, USB memory sticks, etc.). It has no built in security
|     access control, so is small and works well in these portable and
|     embedded applications. It scales the least of the file systems listed.
|     Most systems have FAT32 compatibility support due to its ubiquity.
`----

http://kevin.hatfieldfamilysite.com/?p=104

Microsoft confirms OneCare zaps Outlook, Outlook Express e-mail

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. has acknowledged that a bug in its Windows Live
| OneCare security suite has been causing users' e-mail to vanish
| from Outlook and Outlook Express.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012499

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?