[News] Linux is a Grownup in the Media Department

  • Subject: [News] Linux is a Grownup in the Media Department
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 00:06:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Using Linux Media Centre

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Vista is pricey, and its form and function are of course dictated by
| Microsoft. If you want full control over your Home Theater PC (HTPC), and
| don’t want to have to pay Microsoft for it, then Linux is a more than capable
| alternative base for building a system of your own.
|
| Currently, the two dominant players on Linux are Mythtv and, to a lesser
| extent, Freevo. We’ll take a look at both of these applications as well as
| others you can use to create a fully functional Linux HTPC.
`----

http://www.activehome.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2197364/home-linux-3338326

List of 10 Linux Based Musician’s Toolbox and Softwares

,----[ Quote ]
| The best thing about all these tools is that they are continuously evolving,
| with new features being added constantly and with most developers being very
| receptive to community feedback. Several distributions aimed at multimedia
| authoring are already available, Ubuntu Studio being the most notable one.
`----

http://www.thecredence.com/list-of-10-linux-based-musicians-toolbox-and-softwares/

Related:

Linux: It's Not Just For Computer Geeks Anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| You might think there's no way a free operating system written by
| volunteers could compete when it comes to music production. But in
| the past couple of years, all the tools you need to make music
| have arrived on Linux.
`----

http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=29&storycode=17973

Mix Libre

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux audio developers continue to pump out the good stuff, so
| try some, you might like it, and be sure to let the devels know
| how it works or doesn't work for you.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000181

HP Exits Media Center Business, Drops DEC Line

,----[ Quote ]
| HP is pulling out of the Digital Entertainment Center (DEC) business.
| The company that pioneered the living-room form factor for Media
| Center Edition (MCE) PCs has decided to drop the line.
`----

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/18066.html

Microsoft abandons PMCs

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems Microsoft is abandoning the Portable Media Centre, a format
| that was once considered a possible iPod killer.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/26957/Microsoft-abandons-PMCs

The various levels of suckage - Windows MCE

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://mynutsandi.blogspot.com/2007/05/various-levels-of-suckage-windows-mce.html

,----[ Quote ]
| I also worked for a company which designed dedicated media center
| machines. Slick looking boxes for under the tv action. drool. Around
| 20000 sold, and counting. So that means I have a very valid opinion.
|
| My son has a mce machine in his room, I have one in the lounge, and my
| car is running mce. I also got my brother and sister set up with mce.
| So now I have a very very very valid opinion.
|
| That means you have to sit and listen while I moan, because I am not
| moaning due to having a bad day. I am moaning due to this piece of
| crap microsoft is trying to tout to all and sundry. Yes, I have
| given it a good innings, more than most would attempt, and I still
| use it for lack of anything else wife friendly. That doesnt make
| it good.
`----

http://mynutsandi.blogspot.com/2007/05/various-levels-of-suckage-windows-mce.html

Remember WMC? Black album cover art