[News] FreeBSD Ditched for Linux, European Grid Chooses BSD Licence for Software

  • Subject: [News] FreeBSD Ditched for Linux, European Grid Chooses BSD Licence for Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:25:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Moving from FreeBSD to Linux - why?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is my list of why Linux is better than FreeBSD for me. Of course,
| everyone will have their own ideas, but this is my article, so this is my
| list!
|
|     * Better support...
|
|     * Better tools...
|
|     * Bigger installed base...
|
|     * More resources...
|
|     * Fun...
`----

http://linuxbraindump.org/2007/08/24/moving-from-freebsd-to-linux-why/

New Version 6 of the European grid software Unicore

,----[ Quote ]
| The grid middleware, which is established in Europe and licenced under the
| terms of the BSD Licence, provides a software stack that has been cultivated
| for years, now with a series of new adaptations to accommodate new
| technologies.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94859/from/rss09

Related:

UK government launches open source CO2 calculatorUK government launches open
source CO2 calculator

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in March the UK’s Conservative Party vowed to encourage the adoption
| of open source adoption if elected at the next General Election.*
|
| Today the Labour Party did its bit by releasing the code behind its new
| carbon footprint calculator under the general public license.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/06/uk_government_l.html

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

Petition the UK Government to protect GPL software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/petition_the_uk_government_to_protect_gpl_software