Re: [News] Linus is Not Worried About Microsoft at All

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 24 August 2007 18:56 : \____

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Why should he? After all he "likes Tivoisation", so the prospect of
>> Microsoft turning GNU/Linux into just another proprietary blob of
>> Microsoft patented code shouldn't bother him at all. They're just
>> "sharing" his code then "giving" it back, aren't they? So OK, what
>> they're "giving back" is toxic waste designed to poison the Free
>> Software community, but hey ... that's just nit-picking.
>>

> There's also this:
>
>  " Linus: I don't really have a hugely strong opinion on it. Business is
>    business, and I don't get involved with it; "
>
> And yet, what could be more critical to business than the patent threat,
> and the need for GPLv3, and the elimination of binary drivers as a
> lock-in mechanism?  The problem I have with the above statement is that
> he clearly /does/ get involved, very frequently, and very deeply, and
> yet often lacks the kind of experiences myself and others have had, so
> fails to recognise what business actually needs.  At least, the
> customers, anyway.  From a vendor perspective, binary drivers are a
> great lock-in enabler.

I have been thinking about it recently. What Linus does is, on one level,
brilliant. He is very focused on ensuring that he keeps kernel stuff in mind.
He doesn't want to be distracted, so he leaves the 'politics' to others. The
problem with that is that he /TOTALLY/ fails to understand what Microsoft is
up to (Mark Shuttleworth, on the other hand, knows it all too well), so he
makes licence choice with only technical issues (e.g. TiVo) in mind.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
Tasks: 108 total,   1 running, 107 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie