Re: [News] Google Thrives, So Microsoft Takes Over US Government (a Whole GROUP of Lobbyists)

> Google expands Puget Sound presence

>| Online search giant Google Inc. has signed a lease for nearly 200,000 square
>| feet for three new office buildings in Kirkland.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/070816/1507596.html?.v=1
>
> Google Web applications expanded to 5 universities
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Google Inc said on Thursday that five U.S. universities have signed on for
>| its Internet-based applications including e-mail and instant messaging.
> `----
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1645238820070816?rpc=44
>
> It is rather nasty that academic institutes put their students in the hand of
> companies, but Google is not a convicted criminal (yet).

It'll really come down to whether they're locked-in or not.  If google
use standard protocols, formats and so on, so that you can access what
you need from any platform without any signficiant exit barrier, then
there won't be a problem; further, I can see this being a boon to
universities which have borne the brunt of the dreadful security
problems of Windows for at least a decade now.

Once they get google apps in use, then they can install linux on all
their client machines, and so stop worrying about needing to license
anti-virus ware, anti-spyware and anti-trojan-ware, and also stop
worrying about "patch-tuesday" or whatever it is now.

The only issues they'll have are if anyone installs binary drivers...
should they do so, they will have the headaches of working with them, so
it'll be a lot more like being back with Windows - an exit barrier, a
lock-in.