[News] Trolltech Sees Profit from Linux Phones

  • Subject: [News] Trolltech Sees Profit from Linux Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:42:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Trolltech to profit from Motorola phone sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux-based application platform vendor Trolltech expects a higher growth
| rate in the second half than the first six months but said growth for the
| full year may fall below the approximately 40% recorded for each of the three
| previous years.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=21C81706-8DE9-4889-9E61-A02E81236FED

More mobile Linux:

TimeSys rev's ARM11 cross-tools, i.MX31 support

Trolltech Greenphone developer's SDK

,----[ Quote ]
| So, to begin, what is the Greenphone? Its an Xscale processor (specifically
| a Marvell PXA 270) with 64MB or Ram and 128MB of flash, and a Broadcom
| BCM2121 GSM baseband processor for phone communications. It supports USB
| via a mini usb port, as well as bluetooth. On the whole it struck me as
| fairly comparable to something between a Palm Treo 650 and 700, minus
| the keyboard. Not surprisingly its also sized in terms of processor
| speed and memory to support a Linux-based software stack rather nicely,
| which in this case was founded on a 2.4.19 kernel (more on that later).
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/03/08/review-trolltech-greenphone-developers-sdk/

Trolltech Qtopia Greenphone and SDK Review

,----[ Quote ]
| After having spent a fair bit of time with the Greenphone, it became
| clear to me that the goal of this device was to build and extend the
| Qtopia mobile platform community and provide a means for developing
| software for such a platform. Trolltech is attempting to "ride on
| the shoulders" of such a community, hoping that their new platform
| will take off.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/review/trolltech_qtopia_greenphone_and_sdk_review

Open Linux developer phone opens up more

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech has loosened key licensing restrictions on its
| user-modifiable Linux-based mobile phone for open source software
| developers. Users of the Greenphone will no longer be restricted to
| running Qtopia software on the device, nor to using the device only
| in its supplied hardware/software configuration.

Praxis Engineering Joins Trolltech's Reseller Program

,----[ Quote ]
| The company's family of products includes Qt, which sets the standard
| for high-performance, crossplatform software development; and
| Qtopia, the unrivaled application platform for the efficient
| creation of Linux devices.

Motorola reveals new Linux-based mobile platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola has revealed MOTOMAGX, the company's next-generation Linux-based
| platform for mobile phones.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/08/08/motorola-reveals-new-linux-based-mobile-platform

Motorola wins $394 million in China Mobile deals

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6202156.html