[News] Linux Users Screwed by Gateway and Wal-Mart (Again)

  • Subject: [News] Linux Users Screwed by Gateway and Wal-Mart (Again)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:29:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Installing Linux on Gateway systems VOID your warranty...

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is not supported, period, and no support will be provided for systems
| with Linux installed. Any software of hardware issues that arise while Linux
| is installed will not be supported by Gateway in any form.

Wal-Mart Needs More Than DRM-Free Music to Compete With Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the near-universal appeal of MP3 music, you need a Microsoft Windows
| computer, Microsoft Media Player, and Microsoft Internet Explorer to even
| browse Wal-Mart's music site [I captured the image above using Windows 2000
| on Virtual PC]. Ironically, customers looking to avoid DRM and gain access to
| DRM-free music only can do so by subscribing to Microsoft's rights-managed
| environments.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070823/45375_id.html?.v=1

Wal-Mart is just like the BBC. Their execs are related or tied to Microsoft.

Related:

Walmart video site gets worse

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see, if you go to their video downloading page here,
| it now properly detects your browser. Yay, progress! Sadly, if
| you are not using the spyware vector called IE, well, it locks you
| out. You get the following error message.

FUD from Microsoft when they had the deal with Wal-Mart:

Wal-Mart eyes Microsoft for Web build-out

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6152247.html