[News] H-P's Latest Linux Offerings

New HP Linux offerings

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not surprising to hear the major vendors touting their Linux wares now;
| after all, LinuxWorld has just taken place. For many this might be a time to
| simply wear the Linux badge as loudly as possible, and while HP (and everyone
| else) is doing this, there is some new and interesting meat in these
| announcements. We have long argued that certain technologies must be
| priceless in order to succeed.
`----

http://www.it-director.com/channels/isv/content.php?cid=9736

Linux server sales up 12% (in terms of /revenue/, not numbers), according to
IDC's latest figures. This doesn't include D-I-Y servers, which are getting
easier to build as time goes by.

Related:

Speculation grows over HP Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| It is believed that the move has been spurred in part by Dell beginning to
| offer Unbuntu as an option on its consumer SKUs. According to
| Fudzilla, "despite HP's long association with Red Hat, it looks like it will
| do a deal with Ubuntu."
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/28286/Speculation-grows-over-HP-Linux

HP to Buy Neoware in $334M Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| HP said the purchase will increase the growth of HP's thin client computing
| business, augmenting its Linux software, client virtualization and
| customization abilities.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/23/ap3940663.html

Four Surprises In the Linux Market

,----[ Quote ]
| HP May Make A Major Ubuntu Move: You’ve heard that Dell preinstalls Ubuntu on
| selected consumer PCs and laptops. Rumors are swirling that Hewlett-Packard
| will soon follow suit. Bdale Garbee, Hewlett-Packard’s Linux CTO, is
| scheduled to keynote the Ubuntu LIVE conference on Monday, July 23. This is
| pure speculation by The VAR Guy, but it’s the perfect stage to announce an
| Ubuntu initiative at HP.
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/07/16/four-surprises-in-the-linux-market/

HP Earns Top International Linux Security Certification

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has been awarded a top international Linux security certification that
| will help government agencies and enterprise customers reduce costs while
| implementing secure solutions on the company's industry-standard hardware.
`----

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2007/070716a.html?mtxs=rss-corp-news

HP readies corporate notebook refresh

,----[ Quote ]
| Sources said HP will introduce the 8000 series of performance
| notebooks in the third quarter of this year, aimed at the business market.
|
| [...]
|
| The machines are also certified for Linux.

HP offers peek at next-gen gadgets

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has unveiled some of the gadgets it is working on in its worldwide
| laboratories.
|
| [...]
|
| The e-book attracted most interest from delegates at the HP Mobility
| Summit in Shanghai. It uses touch sensitive strips on the base of
| the rectangular unit to select books and turn pages, runs a Linux
| OS and has a USB port to install new titles.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189600/hp-plans-touchscreen-ebook

Q&A: HP exec says Linux Foundation wants to push OS toward common ground

,----[ Quote ]
| You didn't hear much about it in North America, but over the last six
| months or so, I'm personally hearing a lot more interest in Linux on the
| desktop. It's definitely a focus for the foundation. I think it's an area
| that is kind of a "watch this space" for the next couple [of] years.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016294&source=rss_news10
http://tinyurl.com/ysjlye

Orbiting Debian: Interview with Bdale Garbee

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a really exciting time to be in this industry. With the kinds
| of phenomenal growth rates we're seeing, Linux and the whole of open
| source is one of the brighter stars in the IT sky right now.
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/108

Big Debian Linux Payday For HP

,----[ Quote ]
| In fiscal 2006, $25 million in hardware sales in EMEA (Europe,
| Middle East and Africa) were directly related to HP's Debian
| support.
|
| "I was pretty shocked when I found out about this," Jeffrey
| Wade, worldwide marketing manager of open source and Linux at
| HP, told internetnews.com.

More Hope for the Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Far from being uninterested in the Linux desktop, these companies
| all had active assessment programs going on to evaluate it. Driving
| their interest is the cost of doing business with Windows -- not so
| much the licensing fee, but the ongoing need for care and feeding
| of Windows-based machines. While it's easy to see stories about the
| cost of keeping machines virus-free, rebuilt after users install
| malware, etc., it's quite another thing to hear people describe the
| level of effort they absorb just to keep Windows up and running for
| a large user population. From the tone of their voices, they are
| extremely motivated to reduce the support burden of Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| Based on my take regarding the Council's interest in the Linux desktop, I
| would say that these organizations are diligently seeking a desktop
| solution beyond the Microsoft nightmare of purchase, patch, and upgrade.
| When your wealthiest clients are actively looking to stop using your
| solution, you should be worried. I guess there's more potential for the
| Linux desktop than might, at first blush, appear.
`----

http://blogs.cio.com/node/759

HP considering factory-loaded Linux desktops and notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techspot.com/news/24571-hp-considering-factoryloaded-linux-desktops-and-notebooks.html