[News] [Rival] iPod's Open Source Makeover, Zune's Failure, and iPhone Patches for Bugs

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] iPod's Open Source Makeover, Zune's Failure, and iPhone Patches for Bugs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:56:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Rock Your iPod With an Open-Source Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| I got Rockbox for its FLAC compatibility, but its customizability has made me
| a true fan. And with programmers worldwide tinkering with the code, I expect
| that it will only get better.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136299-c,freeware/article.html

IPod Rivals At Drawing Board

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Zune, it isn't easy for consumers to use Wi-Fi to share their music,"
| he said. To appease music publishers, a song copied from one Zune to another
| can play only three times over three days.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/070822/tech01.html?.v=1

New update for iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| iPhone Update 1.0.2 is available for download from Apple, but don't get too
| excited - the company says it is merely a bug fix release.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14128&Itemid=1054

No luck for iPhone users with Linux. Apple snub, as usual.

Related:

Liberating iPods in Cambridge

,----[ Quote ]
| During the event, dubbed iRony, users were walked through the
| process of installing flexible and featureful free/open source
| software firmware -- without DRM -- onto their digital audio players.
|
| [...]
|
| Organizers set up laptops running Ubuntu GNU/Linux, Mac OS X,
| and Windows XP at the center of the room. iPod users brought
| their players to experienced users, who would determine the
| generation of the iPod and the current partition format, and
| inquire about the user's needs. Together they would decide on
| a firmware (RockBox, iPodLinux, or both) and walk through the
| process of installation. Meanwhile, others looked on to watch
| the process and learn how it was done. RockBox was installed
| on the majority of the iPods with great success.
`----

http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/31/2146245&from=rss

My summer fling with iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| So like many a summer fling, the iPhone has left me with a tinge of
| disappointment. But since I am locked into a long-term relationship, I am
| trying to make the best of it.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9764195-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Closed iPhone opens road for Linux phones

,----[ Summary ]
| With iPhone a closed platform, Linux gets an wide-open road for phones and
| other smart devices
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/08/apple_gives_lin.html?source=rss

This phone is not a slice of Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| The imitation runs a version of a Linux operating system that is commonly
| found on Motorola phones. It also has a stylus.
|
| [...]
|
| A visit to the Baniyas Square store by Gulf News revealed the phone to be a
| Chinese-made touch-screen, running a Linux-based operating system.
`----

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10146099.html

Google Using OpenMoko For gPhone?

,----[ Quote ]
| A friendly penguin has told us at Phoronix that Google is looking to team up
| with OpenMoko for their "gPhone". Google will not be using the FIC Neo1973
| GTA01, but they will be bringing the open-source OpenMoko platform to their
| own hardware, which looks to be manufactured through HTC, and making a few
| changes along the way.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTk1Mw

OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
| production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

70% of Zune owners will switch to iPod, iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| An astonishing 36 per cent of people who purchased a Zune now say they would
| never have purchased one if they had realised Apple would produce something
| as innovative as the iPhone.
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&blogid=1&entryid=200

Dancing Ballmer subjected to Zune dance therapy

,----[ Quote ]
| The japester appears to have used an internal Microsoft website to direct,
| well, just about anyone to this re-reinterpretation of Steve Ballmer’s
| infamous monkeyboy dance. Or is it a re-reinterpetation of Apple's iPod
| advertising campaign? In these mashed-up days, it's hard to tell.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/01/ballmer_dances/

Zune tops million mark, again

,----[ Quote ]
| After the false alarm back in May, yesterday's announcement that Microsoft
| has now officially reached their goal of one million Zunes sold (or is that
| shipped?) had about as much fanfare as a fart in a bathtub.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747850-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

Is that 1 Million Zunes Shipped or Sold?

,----[ Quote ]
| Stephen Baker, NPD's vice president of industry analysis, says he believes
| that Microsoft could have shipped 1 million Zunes. "They have not sold 1
| million players through nor do I believe they will by the end of June," he
| said. "That number is likely to be around 750,000."
|
| Microsoft's modest sales goal--at least compared to more than 100
| million iPods--may or may not be in sight, depending on whether
| that number is shipped or sold.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/games_consumer/is_that_1_million_shipped_or_sold.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

Muted welcome for Microsoft Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of the Zune launch Microsoft flew some influential music bloggers
| to Seattle for a preview of the player and the service.

New Zune Player Will Face Tough Market

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070427/tc_pcworld/131337