Re: [News] Slashdot: Microsoft-BBC Corruption Approaching Collpase?

____/ waterskidoo on Wednesday 22 August 2007 17:44 : \____

> On 2007-08-21, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 20 August 2007 14:11 : \____
>

>> I'll never get back to watching TV. I quit it a couple of years ago. I just
>> watch television at the gym and recently I've pondered a personal 'embargo'
>> on the big cinemas. I can cope with the cornershop/small ones that feature
>> fine films which are produces by creativity and passion, not greed and
>> number-crunching cigar-smoking DRM-loving execs. As for music, we have
>> hundreds of years of music, most of which predates the whole copyrights
>> culture (or has copyrights expired). You can grab a 5-CD Sinatra collection
>> for 5 quid if you look carefully enough. Oh! And it plays in a car stereo
>> too. No sneaky rootkits.
>
> You think much as I do. I like jazz, bigband, standards and so forth.
> I often wonder what Glenn Niller would have thought of DRM.
> FWIW the distributers, middlemen are the people making the most off
> CD sales. I used to have a link with pie charts etc but alas it has
> gone away. The artists make most of their money off concerts, appearences
> and merchandise (shirts etc). The record executives/company are somewhere
> in the middle of all that and the shop owner makes very little.

This culture of middlemen is, IMHO, not only wasteful, but it is also very
damaging. Employment redundancies and stressful work are all the result of the
Broken Window economic model (IIRC the theory correctly). If only you can get
more people to passionately pursue their goals and improve human knowledge
rather than obey blindly. We might be heading toward another dark age, but it
won't be called Middle Ages. It'll be called something else, but inherently
it'll be the same, only digital.

It can probably be stopped.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
Tasks: 109 total,   1 running, 108 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie