[News] Virtualisation an Escape Route from Poor Windows Experiences, Gets Thumbs Up and Anonymous FUD

  • Subject: [News] Virtualisation an Escape Route from Poor Windows Experiences, Gets Thumbs Up and Anonymous FUD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:13:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Virtualization is hot because Windows is not.

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many frustrated Unix weenies I bear a long standing resentment for the
| way Microsoft simply obliterated the enterprise server market back in the mid
| 90’s. Whether your favorite flavor was Solaris, HPUX, AIX, or IRIX (mine!) a
| Unix guy grew up with things like reliability, uptime, shared resources,
| multitasking, simple interface and openness.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=469

VMware Jumps on Analyst Comment

,----[ Quote ]
| For now, he said, the company's products are at least 18 months ahead of the
| nearest competition, a free product from Microsoft Corp. Other companies are
| struggling to attract users.
|
| [...]
|
| Shares gained $9, or 15.7 percent, to $66.33 in afternoon trading.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070821/vmware_mover.html?.v=1linux

"Poorly-hacked Linux". VMWare /is/ Linux.

Here comes the FUD (flavour of "P2P is threat to national security"):

Virtualization stretching IT security pressures

,----[ Quote ]
| Chad Lorenc, information security officer at a financial services company
| that he asked not be named, said that IT security and compliance projects are
| far more complex undertakings on virtual machines than on servers that run a
| single operating system and a single application.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1029336345&rid=-50

More FUD?

Facebook could pose security risk to companies

,----[ Quote ]