[News] [SOT] Intel Supports Linux, But Corrupts Governments with Lobbyists/'Bullies'

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Intel Supports Linux, But Corrupts Governments with Lobbyists/'Bullies'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:01:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
$70 Intel Mobo/CPU threatens Via's dreams

,----[ Quote ]
| Officially, this board only supports three flavours of Windows XP -
| Professional, Home and Starter Edition. But Intel’s web site does provide
| Linux video drivers for some distributions.

Intel Hires Lobbying Firm

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer chip maker Intel Corp. has hired FBA Inc. to lobby the federal
| government, according to a federal disclosure form.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070821/intel_lobbying.html?.v=1

They are not alone (Microsoft and Google are there as well, but that's not
new).

Marketing Group Spent $350,000 Lobbying

,----[ Quote ]
| The Direct Marketing Association spent $350,000 in the first half of 2007 to
| lobby the federal government, according to a disclosure form.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070821/marketing_industry_lobbying.html?.v=1

There was another chipmaker (can't recall which one) that pulled such tricks a
few months ago when it created an office in DC. They are destroying democracy
completely, pretending to be helping the consumer rather than limiting choice
(which is exactly what they do).

Related:

EC says Intel influenced bids for computer projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The third type of allegation, however, was new, and sounded like a variety of
| predatory pricing. “In the context of bids against AMD-based products for
| strategic customers in the server segment of the market,” the commission
| press release said, “Intel has offered CPUs on average below cost.”
`----

http://legalpad.blogs.fortune.com/2007/08/03/ec-says-intel-influenced-bids-for-computer-projects/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/