Re: [Rival] Windows Trojan Leads to Theft of 1.6 Million People's Personal Records

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Tuesday 21 August 2007 15:45 : \____

> On Aug 21, 6:18 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Monster Trojan monsters job seekers' records
>>
>> ,----[ Quoet ]
>> | Monster.com suffered a major data breach at the weekend, with a Trojan
>> | horse stealing more than 1.6 million records from the job search site's
>> | database.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/21/monster_trojan_steals_million...
>

> The reg says this:
>
> <Quote>
> The main file used by the Trojan is ntos.exe, an executable also
> commonly used by Trojan.Gpcoder.E, a similar piece of malware. The
> Trojans share the Monster.com logo for the executable icon - leading
> Symantec to speculate the same group is behind both.
>
> Adding to the mess, Trojan.Gpcoder.E has reportedly been sent in
> Monster.com phishing emails. The emails use the personal information
> to fool users into downloading a Monster Job Seeker Tool, which is in
> reality, Trojan.Gpscoder.E.
> </Quote>
>
> but it doesn't  say what OS was running.  Hmmm, is Trojan.Gpcoder.E
> one of those virus loads that come in the hundreds every day to my
> inbox?  The ones my Linux box is immune to?

The Register is read by computer-fluent people, so I'm sure the large majority
knows it's Windows (without needing to explicitly lay the blame). The BBC, on
the other hand...

People regularly complains about this to the BBC (Mac users are particularly
vocal), so even MSBBC will sometimes indicate that it's a Windows-only issue.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
Mem:    515500k total,   444876k used,    70624k free,      700k buffers