Re: [News] Novell Brings the {Microsoft Web}^TM to GNU/Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 10 December 2007 07:32 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 December 2007 13:39 : \____
>>
>>> birre <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I think Novell understand very well what they have...
>>>

>> Yesterday (and no, I didn't post this to c.o.l.a.):
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1020
>>
>>     As part of Novell?s arrangement with Microsoft, Microsoft also is
>>     providing
>> financial incentives to Novell to get Silverlight on Linux, de Icaza added.
>>
>>     ?Microsoft agreed to pay all the licensing and patent fees for
>> redistributing the (Silverlight) codecs,? de Icaza said. ?We don?t have the
>> Microsoft codecs for Silverlight now. So we can not yet do streaming. ? But
>> it?s coming.?
>>

> I wonder just how much of Novell's income is from Microsoft now, rather
> a lot, I suspect.  I also wonder just how easy to determine this it will
> be from their annual accounts, which are, I understand, in delay.

Rightly so. In case you have not listening to/read this the other day, here it
is again:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/open_season_seven/

Wow. Confirmation of 'funny business' (finance) and loss of talent. They also
try to shut Matt Asay up so that he doesn't talk about it (but he did, and I
put it all in text).

Quotes from the podcast:

Matt Asay: “Yeah, you notice that I’ve been really nice about Novell lately.
It’s… it’s because I kept getting calls from people in the company [Novell]
begg… asking me to be nice...."

[...]

Ashlee Vance: “And top of all this, we have Novell just today when we were
recording the broadcast they had to lay their 4th quarter earnings because of
a SEC probe.”

Matt Asay: “Well, I doubt, I tend… I don’t know who reported on that, but I saw
something where they say, you know, this probably isn’t due to Novell
massaging its numbers around Linux, which is what Dana Blakenhorn at ZDNet had
claimed, I mean, I can tell you absolutely for a verifiable fact for that
Novell does do that, but then again everybody does that. So… I’ve.. I’ve got
the sales guys at Novell telling me that, that they do this, but it just
doesn’t matter, I… I suspect that this is a tech… like a technicality that
Novell has run afoul of and not a big deal, but maybe I’ll.. maybe we’ll be
wrong, maybe I’ll be wrong, we should see.”

Ashlee Vance: “So you think people fudge the shipping numbers or they’re
fudging revenue numbers, I mean, reve..?”

Matt Asay: “No…no… no… no not… just saying that they are putting it into
different buckets. Ummm…like, some of that Linux revenue that Novell reports,
based on what I’ve heard from Linux inside the company, is not Linux revenue
by… by.., what are… reasonably prudently outside observer and what they would
say.”

Novell didn't like it when Matt wrote things which I then cited and used
against Novell. So now he talks rather than write about that stuff. I put it
into text so that I can cite it in the future. :-) Already spread in at least
3-4 Web sites with regular readers. Secrets don't make fraud ethical.

Proprietary, lockin-based tools lead to regrets. Doc(umen)tor, heal thyself.
Tasks: 113 total,   2 running, 111 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie