[News] MEPIS 7.0 Looks Impressive Before Final Release

  • Subject: [News] MEPIS 7.0 Looks Impressive Before Final Release
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:06:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MEPIS 7.0-rc2: See Fedora

,----[ Quote ]
| I tried MEPIS 6.0 and 6.5 a while back because it seemed like a good
| distribution. The best of Ubuntu, Debian, and Knoppix all rolled into one
| with some extra goodies a la Mint- who wouldn't want it? It turned out to be
| a decent distribution, but a solid one at best.
| All this is (hopefully- it's the last RC, but it's still just an RC) going to
| change with version 7.0.
`----

http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/12/mepis-70-rc2-see-fedora.html

Related:

Another Day Another Distro - Part 8 - SimplyMEPIS 7.0 Beta 6

,----[ Quote ]
| This time around I decided to try out another distribution I'd never used
| before in the shape of MEPIS. I started off with simplyMEPIS 6.5 which seemed
| a bit dated but luckily it was pointed out to me that 7.0 is due out very
| soon. I noticed simplyMEPIS 7.0 AntiX had been released recently but it's a
| lightweight distribution for older hardware and it's probably not fair to
| compare that to the larger distros directly. I might look at lightweight
| distros in their own right in future.
`----

http://adventuresinopensource.blogspot.com/2007/11/another-day-another-distro-part-8.html

MEPIS 7.0 Beta5: Improvements and OpenOffice 2.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Good news for MEPIS users! The MEPIS documentation team has released a new
| MEPIS User's manual under a Creative Commons License. With over 60 pages, the
| manual covers many questions from installation, to network configuration, to
| using applications.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14087

KDE 4.0 Beta 1 w/ MEPIS

,----[ Quote ]
| The first beta of KDE 4.0 was released earlier this month and Warren Woodford
| of the MEPIS project has now built a version of SimplyMEPIS 7 that is based
| upon Debian Etch with the 32-bit and 64-bit KDE 4.0 Beta 1 packages.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=805&num=1

MEPIS releases KDE 4 Beta 1 Live DVDs

,----[ Quote ]
| In a statement, Jos Poortvliet of the KDE Project said, "The KDE project is
| happy to see MEPIS Linux leading the way in bringing the next-generation
| desktop technology to their users. This decision of early adoption of KDE 4
| by the MEPIS developers will ensure a premier KDE experience for the users.
| We hope KDE 4 will be appreciated, and we look forward to the constructive
| comments from the MEPIS community."

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been very impressed by the entire SimplyMEPIS 6.5 operating
| system. It was probably the best install experience I have ever had,
|  offers great response, and has an enjoyable interface. Personally,
| I feel that this has been my best KDE experience thus far, even with
| my previous use of PCLinuxOS 2007. You may not hear too much about
| MEPIS when it comes to Linux news sites, but there is definitely a
| good reason why there are so many users.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/06/15/simplemepis-65-a-review/

A first look at SimplyMEPIS 6.5

,----[ Quote ]
| The final of SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now out. You can either buy a
| subscription to the distribution from the SimplyMEPIS store or
| download a copy from one of the MEPIS mirrors.
`----

http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6383341657.html

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Release Candidate 2 [screenshots]

,----[ Quote ]
| The second release candidate for SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is now
| available. SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC2 replaces QtParted with
| GParted, improvements to the MEPIS Xconfig assistant,
| and a fair amount of other changes beyond the original
| release candidate. SimplyMEPIS is another Ubuntu-based
| distribution.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=667&num=1

SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 adds Beryl 0.2.0 Final and Installer Translations

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC3 has been uploaded to the MEPIS subscribers
| pool and propagated to the public mirrors.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/13211

Review: SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC1

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is definitely the coolest distribution I have
| reviewed so far. The eye candy is very sweet indeed, but more over
| it is put together well and simply works. I also like the fact
| it uses KDE instead of GNOME, but mainly for personal preference.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-simplymepis-65-rc1/

MEPIS founder clarifies MEPIS/Ubuntu relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Woodford [MEPIS]: Again it's a matter of what you mean by those words.
| Mark [Shuttleworth] and I talked it over before I switched to Ubuntu.
| He's clear that MEPIS is an independent distro. And yet, it is fair
| to say on the Ubuntu site that MEPIS is a derivative of Ubuntu,
| from the point of view that we use the Ubuntu packages. And we
| use them by choice, because they meet our needs and they're
| the best available. That reference at the Ubuntu site says
| that we endorse Ubuntu, and we do.

MEPIS 7.0 Beta6: The Final Round of Updates

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14176